If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think about physical therapy until you need it. And when that time comes, it’s usually because of an old injury that’s been causing pain and discomfort for a while. You’re not alone. More than one-third of adults in the United States have reported experiencing chronic pain in the past year. Fortunately, there are many old injury pain treatment options available for those suffering from chronic pain, including physical therapy. In this blog post, we’ll discuss how physical therapy can help relieve old injury pain and get you back to your life!
At Backcountry Physical Therapy, our performance physical therapy services help athletes and outdoor enthusiasts recover from old injuries. As a sports physical therapist in Colorado Springs, we use a combination of manual therapy techniques, therapeutic exercises, and high-quality education to help our patients find relief from their pain. We’ll work with you to create a custom treatment plan that fits your needs and goals so you can live a pain-free, active lifestyle.
What is Lingering Pain from an Old Injury?
Lingering pain from an old injury is often the result of tissue damage that never fully healed. This can be due to a number of factors, including:
- Poor healing environment: If the tissues surrounding your injury are not well-nourished or do not have adequate blood flow, they may not heal properly. This can lead to chronic pain and stiffness.
- Underlying health conditions: Conditions like diabetes and arthritis can make it difficult for your body to heal from an injury. This can cause the injured area to become more susceptible to pain and re-injury.
- Inadequate treatment: If you do not receive proper treatment for your injury, the healing process may be delayed or incomplete. This can lead to chronic pain and discomfort.
How to Reduce Pain and Discomfort At-Home
There are a few things you can do to reduce pain and discomfort from an old injury at home.
First, it’s important to keep moving. Movement is medicine, so try to incorporate some activity into your day. This will help improve your mobility, strength, and control over movement. It’s also crucial to keep your body moving to prevent further injury.
Second, scale your exercise. Don’t try to do too much too soon. Work your way back into things gradually and focus on form over intensity. The last thing you want is to re-injure yourself.
Finally, be aware of any bad habits you may have developed to accommodate your pain. These will need to be changed in order to fully heal. But be patient! It can take a little bit more work to rehab an old injury, but it’s worth it to get back to your best self.
Old Injury Pain Treatment with Physical Therapy
Sometimes traditional, at-home methods of treating your pain don’t work. Physical therapy can be an effective way to treat an old injury that’s not responding to at-home treatment. Physical therapy can help improve your pain, function, and quality of life.
5 Ways Physical Therapy for Pain Can Help
There are a number of ways physical therapy can help relieve pain from an old injury.
- Reduce inflammation: Physical therapy can help reduce inflammation in the injured area, which can lead to pain relief.
- Improve range of motion: By improving your range of motion, physical therapy can help you regain function and reduce discomfort.
- Strengthen muscles: Strengthening the muscles around your injury can help support the area and reduce pain.
- Decrease stress: Stress can worsen pain, so reducing stress with physical therapy can help improve your overall well-being.
- Increase blood flow: Increasing blood flow to the injured area can speed up healing and reduce pain.
- Break bad habits: Physical therapy can help you spot bad habits that you’re doing to accommodate pain and teach you better ways to heal.
Find Pain Relief with Backcountry Physical Therapy
Pain from an old injury can cause you discomfort that can make it hard to live your life to the fullest. At-home exercises don’t always work and you may need professional help to get your pain under control. That’s where physical therapy can help. Chronic pain from an old injury doesn’t have to keep you from doing the things you love.
At Backcountry Physical Therapy, we specialize in helping patients find relief from their pain so they can live active, healthy lives. Our sports physical therapists are experts in treating old injuries and can help you find relief from your pain. We use a combination of physical therapy techniques to ensure you are feeling your best, and we make sure we get to the root of the problem. Want to get back to your favorite activities pain-free? If you’re ready to find relief from your old injury pain, contact us today to schedule an appointment!